CLAVEY'S NURSERY was started in rural Illinois in 1886 by F.D. Clavey. F.D.
Clavey is credited with the development and patent of Clavey's Dwarf
Elmer Clavey, one of F.D. Clavey's four sons, purchased the rights to the family
name and formed his own nursery in Mundelein in 1938 under the name of Elmer
In 1958 Elmer turned his business over to one of his sons, Gordon Clavey. Gordon
continued the nursery operation in Mundelein until purchasing 185 acres near
Woodstock, Illinois, in 1970. At this time Gordon changed the name to Clavey's
Woodstock Nursery, Inc. To help make the move a successful one, Gordon made two
key employees, Donald Stibbe and George Kopsell, partners.
In 1974 Gordon purchased 200 acres five miles north of the Woodstock location,
and moved the nursery to what is now the present site of Clavey's Nursery.
In 1987 Donald Stibbe retired and sold his share of the nursery to George and
Gordon. In 1989 George Kopsell became the sole owner of the nursery when Gordon
Clavey retired, selling all remaining shares of stock and property to George.
In 1993 George sold the nursery to Kurt Beystehner, a licensed landscape
architect, and John Suydam, the previous three year manager of the nursery
under George. The name of the nursery was changed to Clavey's Nursery, Inc.,
and in 1994 Kurt bought John's share of the nursery and became sole owner.
Kurt's wife Karen started as office manager for the nursery and became half
owner in 1995.
Clavey's Nursery, Inc. has made many changes and has placed greater emphasis on
producing only premium quality plant materials. Numerous new varieties have
been lined out and have helped customers fill most of their needs.
The nursery uses only the highest quality liners to produce the finest trees and
shrubs. The end result is high quality plant material that the customer can
In the spring of 1995 a distributorship for UNILOCK Pavers and Wall Products,
was added to the list of items that the nursery sells to help with our
In the spring of 1998 we expanded our facilities with the purchase of an
additional 51 acres. This brought total production up to 266 acres.
In the summer of 1999 we expanded to 288 acres with the additional purchase of
In the summer of 2003 we expanded to our current production size of 361 acres,
with the purchase of an additional 91 acres.
We look forward to working with all our present customers as well as new
customers in the years to come. Feel free to call for a tour of the nursery.
YOU ARE ALWAYS WELCOME AT CLAVEY'S NURSERY, INC., WHERE THE CUSTOMER AND QUALITY